The Cat Friendly Practice® program is a global initiative designed to elevate care for cats by reducing the stress for the cat, caregiver, and also the entire veterinary team.
We are happy to be a Cat Friendly Practice because we love cats and want to offer them the best veterinary care. We understand how unique cats are and that they have special needs.
We strive to make veterinary visits for your feline as stress-free as possible by:
- Approaching your pet in ways that reduce anxiety
- Designating a special place in the waiting room reserved for cats
- Providing comfortable places for your cat for examination and treatment
- Examining your cat in a way that is the least stressful for them. For some cats, that is your lap or the bottom of their carrier.
In addition to this we also:
- Offer tasty treats to distract your pet, make them happy, and reduce anxiety
- Are considerate about your cat’s comfort when holding them or doing procedures, such as getting a blood sample
- Don't struggle with your cat
- Feed birds right outside the cat exam room window to give kitties something interesting to watch
- Create a calming environment with pheromone diffusers and sprays
- Play calming music to ease tension and promote relaxation
- Actively work to reduce stressful noises and create a relaxing environment
- Keep pets in separate cat condos if they need to stay in the hospital
- Prescribe anti-anxiety and calming medications to give prior to many pet’s visits
- Postpone the exam/procedure if your pet is showing excessive signs of fear, anxiety, or stress - often we send home medication to give prior to the next visit.
- Sedate your cat for a scary or painful procedure
In addition to making the veterinary visit less stressful for your cat, we have special training in your cat’s unique needs. We understand how to make the home environment great so your cat can be happy and healthy.
Learn some tips on Keeping Your Cat Happy or call 434-973-9699 for more information on our Cat Friendly methods.